Thursday, July 30, 2015

What does Sandwich Generation Mean? | No comments:


Older Woman Smiling

Sandwich Generation

Mom the wonderful woman who loves me. She raised me and my brothers while working two jobs to support us. She can get on my nerves and in the same breath, I want to hug and kiss her. Her strength and love for God made her phenomenal human being. I cherish her wisdom and her funny ways. Her generosity and helping those in need has molded me into a loving caring individual.



After giving birth to three healthy boys early in life. Mom gave deliver me at 40 years of age. She always feared rasing girl children because of past sexual abuse. Being mistreated by monsters, mom thought that  having a female will make them a target for these predators. Now living 50 years in America she realizes everybody can be a victim; people are sick that way. With her fears, financial trouble and reservations, she had me.
 Mother and Daughter Smiling for the Camera.

This is why I hate to see her grow older. To watch her struggle with simple daily activities most people take for granted. I dislike that most of my family is ignoring the fact she needs more help from them. I'm angry with the family and friends she helped and uplifted, who is absent in her hour of need. I wish my mom to be happy, pain free, and self sufficient. I have to alter my lifestyle to accommodate taking care of an elderly parent and a 2 year old boy. While trying to stay fit mind, body and soul. Experts say I am now apart of the "Sandwich Generation". I want to to ask the experts, what is the sandwich generation?

 

I have been trying to come to grips about my mom's condition. She has crippling arthritis in almost every joint of her body. Simple things like using the toilet is a 30 minute excursion. I feel selfish and all around awful when I get mad because she doesn't eat on time. It's my fault because she's not able go into the kitchen a prepare her own meals. I need to remember to get her food ready before leaving the house."Sandwich Generation" no babe I am in a salad. All mixed up and somewhat bitter with no dressing to make it go down easy. This transition is making me resent old age, and the adage "growing old gracefully" it's not graceful what my mom is going through. I have to witness her pain and depression and there's nothing I can do. I want to scream in anger, fight and destroy things, because I am useless. 

Who may I ask came up with the term sandwich generation? How is knowing a term for what I am going through helping me help her. I will never put my mom in a home. Her place is with me and her family. My 2 year old needs to understand we love and care for our elders. We never get rid of them because it's too hard. I am a 38 year old new mom with a 78 year old mother, three siblings and a dog. I am trying to lose weight and be content with what life is presenting me. I am not apart of anyone's sandwich; I am in a salad. Yes I am apart of a Salad Generation, now eat up!




No comments:

Post a Comment