Sunday, July 19, 2015

Book Review: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell | No comments:

Book Review: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell


Outliers

 Have you ever heard the statment, to be considered an expert at something you have to invest 10,000 hours. I always wonder who was the authority of that statement; because when I did the math, it made sense. If we are practicing on our target project or profession, 20 hours per week for 10 years it would give us ten thousand hours. I believe exercising anything that long will make you the authority in any endeavor. How hard is that? I spend more time self-loathing and being depressed than in the past than focusing my energies on positive projects. Still not knowing who made the 10,000 hour rule, I try to devote my time in practicing my art. I painted every day for 3 hours and instantly saw the difference in my art. 


Luna's Art Work
10/11/2011 When I wanted to try my hand at painting with acrylics.


 

 

 

 

Artwork
4 months of practicing everyday, without a tutor, just youtube and a dream.

 

Painting of CherriesDrawing of Girl Hiding 
My Art started improving after a year, but not in the way I wanted too.



"Who Started the 10,000 hour Phenomenon."




Mermaid DrawingRealizing after 6 months of implementing my 10,000 hour rule case study I didn't do enough research into its origins. So Google here I come. Malcolm Gladwell a Canadian journalist who writes for The New Yorker is the inventor of the 10,000 hour rule. He wrote a book in 2008 called Outliers: The Story of Success. I ordered this book on Amazon and read it at once. After reading, I realize there so much more to being successful than 10,000 hour rule implies. Without spoiling it for others I will tell you what stood out. 



Malcolm Gladwell



Drawing side torso
Sketching is getting better.
Like the title suggest this is a Story of Success. Mr. Gladwell after researching and studying many successful people he summarize how they can to be so successful in their field. Each person had a mini biography of how they got started on the path of success, it became clear to me that the 10,000 rule is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to being successful. Learning I have to practice 10,000 hours with the right instruction, direction and societal influence I was dismayed. I have no real support or money to get the right instruction or influence. Most of the people around me really can care less if I can paint a house, let alone a portrait of my mother. I can devote 10,000 hours in my art and still end up drawing and painting juvenile one dimensional  pieces that people will frown upon. Gladwell believes that even if a person has the potential to be a master at any skill, that sometimes society, environment and community can possibly support or hinder that person. So supporting each other as a society we can help people become a master at any project.



 Past Obstacles


Then I remember my past obstacles I had to overcome and how I did it. When I wanted to learn about investing, I surround myself with like minded individuals and I found success. When I wanted to lose weight, I submerged myself in the health and fitness world and went from 302lbs to 268lbs and still losing. I understand what Mr. Gladwell is trying to convey and I know my potential and I will be a master at art. So I will say this book was powerful in giving direction and purpose. So I added Mr. Malcolm Gladwell to my list of "Awesome Book's Written By Investigative Reporters" even I don't totally agree with the book as a whole, it still made great points I can't deny.
 
Painting of InvetroPainting of Africa girl







"I will find my success in every task I set for myself"

-Nathalie D. Luna Adkins             

Lady amature acrylic painting
Portrait of mom in 2012, acrylic.

Woman Acrylic Painting
Painting re-done 2013, much better!
Water Color of Baby
My nephew in 2014



Even though Mr. Gladwell believes the reason people are more successful than others is because of circumstances. This will not deter me from seeking my mastery at life and other pursuits. Because as long as I have breath in my body, I have success and I will master any and everything I set my mind too.

Painting and Drawing of Son
My son in 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment